Hospital ventilation – HTM 03-01 compliant
The Health Technical Memoranda (HTMs) are arguably the most important documents within the UK, providing comprehensive advice and guidance on the design, installation and operation of specialised building and engineering technology used within the delivery of healthcare, including hospital ventilation.
The focus of Health Technical Memorandum guidance remains on the healthcare specific elements of standards, policies and up-to-date best practice. Applicable to new and existing sites, and for use at various stages throughout the whole building lifecycle, compliance with HTM 03-01 Specialised Ventilation for Healthcare Premises prevents the forming of bacteria in hospital plant equipment.
Healthcare providers have a duty of care to ensure that appropriate governance arrangements are in place and are managed effectively. The Health Technical Memorandum series provides best practice engineering standards and policy to enable management of this duty of care and is a protocol that Barkell adheres to stringently.
HTM 03-01 NHS engineering specification compliance
All of our units are supplied in accordance with the HTM-03-01 technical memorandum that sets out the design and validation standards of ventilation systems for use in healthcare premises.
HTM 03-01 Specialised Ventilation for Healthcare Premises looks at the minimum design criteria of the air handling unit (AHU) with regards to safe access for routine inspection and the control of bacteria that can be found in stagnant water. Critical areas of hospitals need to comply with the specifications of HTM-03-01 and by specifying a Barkell air handling systems we ensure compliance by including items such as the below:
- Air handling units (AHUs) sized to achieve maximum coil & filter velocity of 2m³/s
- Base frames sized to suit trapping requirements
- Maintenance access provided up & down stream of all components
- Drain trays positioned under positive pressure
- Stainless steel drain trays
- Cu/Cu-Sn cooling coils, with removable eliminator and 304 stainless steel casing
- Cu/Cu heating coils
- Cu bare tube frost coils
- Viewports and bulkhead lights in filter access sections and access sections directly up and downstream of a cooling coil
- Atmosphere side connections complete with motorised shut off dampers
- Room side air connections complete with manual operation shut off dampers, with hand locking quadrant
We have proven experience in working with estates departments to determine the site specific requirements, ensuring the facility meets all the criteria set out within HTM 03-01 Specialised Ventilation for Healthcare Premises Memorandum. We are able to cater for all different project specific variations such as:
- Direct drive fans or DIDW belt driven fans, complete with drain plug and inspection door
- Run and standby motors
- Motors mounted internal or external to the airstream
- Fully accessible fixed type or fully removable drain trays
- Melinex lined attenuators
Proven track record in hospital ventilation
Here at Barkell, we are proud of our proven track record of successful hospital ventilation projects. We have AHU unit installations throughout some of the UKs largest hospitals including flagship projects at University College Hospital Macmillan Cancer Centre (University College London Hospitals), South Glasgow University Hospital (NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde), Southmead Hospital (NHS North Bristol), Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast (Belfast Health and Social Care Trust) and Peterborough City Hospital (NHS Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals).
Download the heating and ventilation of health sector buildings (HTM 03-01) here